Emergency closure allowed TTC to make critical repairs to improve reliability4/17/14 6:00 AM
Last Saturday’s special closure of Line 1 (Yonge-University-Spadina) between Eglinton and Bloor Stations until noon allowed TTC crews to tackle a number of infrastructure issues in the Davisville area that have negatively affected reliability of subway service in recent weeks.
In the additional time afforded by the closure, our crews carried out proactive checks of critical equipment, made repairs and replaced parts as required and undertook work to stabilize the track. This all helps to mitigate the likelihood of further signal problems in this area. At the same time, crews undertook a big cleanup of leaves and debris in the entire open section between Eglinton and St Clair Stations.
While the work performed should result in more reliable service, the underlying need to completely replace this 60-year-old section of track and signals has not gone away. We will undertake this work as soon as I am satisfied that my engineers have found the quickest, most customer-friendly and least disruptive way of providing alternate service while the work is done.
Over the next decade, substantial investment needs to be made across the TTC – new vehicles, infrastructure renewal, and in expanded capacity to meet rising demand.
To that end, I welcome the recent commitment by the Ontario Government to provide substantial, dedicated funding for transit over the next 10 years. It’s what we have been calling for and we have projects ready to go that will enable us to truly transform the TTC.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017