Extended subway in Scarborough now a step closer to reality9/27/13 6:00 AM
Earlier this week (Sept. 23, 2013), Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced that the Federal government will contribute $660 million toward the cost of extending the Bloor-Danforth subway line east of Kennedy Station.
The announcement follows protracted discussions with the City and Provincial governments about how best to replace the aging Scarborough Rapid Transit line as it comes to the end of its useful life.
I very much welcome this injection of new funds into public transit in Toronto.
Also this week, I tabled a report at the TTC Board that set out our rationale for the optimum alignment (or routing) for the subway extension that calls for the line to be extended eastward from Kennedy Station, then north under McCowan Road, terminating at Sheppard Avenue East. This is, by far, the best option from an engineering, operational and customer perspective.
Toronto City Council will review this option next month. After that, an environmental assessment will follow and the final alignment and design will then allow for construction to begin. In the meantime, the TTC will keep the SRT operating safely and reliably through the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Games and until the new subway extension is ready.
I will continue to remind Councillors of the need to adequately fund the existing network in order to maintain our state of good repair. I will also reiterate that a relief line, to take pressure off the Yonge line – and especially Bloor-Yonge interchange station – remains a TTC top priority.
There has been a lot of talk about this Scarborough project. We’re keen to get started on making it a reality.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017