What’s best and right for TTC riders must be at heart of transit debate9/13/13 6:00 AM
In addition to running today’s TTC, one of my many responsibilities is to advise elected officials on transit policy, including expansion.
The current, protracted debate about extending the Bloor-Danforth line as a subway deeper into Scarborough is taking place in a highly charged political atmosphere. It is complicated by the number of different agencies and players involved.
The TTC’s position is very clear: to provide the best transit solution to its customers with the funds available – and with an eye to future growth.
The TTC, with Board direction, will study the revised subway proposal announced by Ontario Transportation Minister Glen Murray last week (Sept. 4, 2013). That proposal would see an extension to the Bloor-Danforth line along the present-day Scarborough RT routing. But it will only be supported by the TTC if operational and engineering concerns over sharp curves and steep inclines can be satisfactorily addressed.
The subway routing approved by Council this summer – and supported by myself and TTC staff – is not subject to tight turns and steep grades. This plan would not require a bus shuttle during construction as the SRT would be kept operational until the subway extension is complete, and there would be no need to relocate Kennedy Station.
Elected officials, of course, have the final say in all of this. But it is my job to give frank and fearless advice to help inform the best possible outcome for TTC riders. I will not flinch from that responsibility.
Advancing to the next level.
COVID-19 positive tests update.
Safety notice: stay-at-home order.
Armstrong, Babcock, Baird, Barrow, Brown, Budd, Charles, Dean, Dudar, Frilles, Gianvecchio, Hales, Holloway, Jamal, Lachapelle, Martins, McCullough, Nelson, Nimmo, Ponte, Roberge, Rotolo, Sottile, Timal.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017