TTC taking action to better improve subway service10/4/13 6:00 AM
Improved reliability and punctuality of our subway service is an important area of our business that is being tackled for the benefit of our riders.
A number of factors can impact poorly on subway service and we have set up teams to identify and resolve root causes of delays.
One such team is looking at ways to improve the reliability of our rolling stock – subway trains. The Toronto Rocket is now starting to deliver better performance. That bodes well for the future, as we move to an all-Rocket fleet on the Yonge-University-Spadina line over the next year. But we continue to keep on top of this.
Another team is focused on signal and switch failures at the same time as we get closer to the introduction of a new signal system. We’re operating with old technology and are in the midst of modernizing it. Until then, we must continue to operate the subway safely with the existing equipment.
Finally, a third team is tasked with driving down the number of Passenger Assistance Alarm activations. I have never worked at a system where the alarm is used so much, often for what we would deem to be non-emergencies.
I fully appreciate that the subway is busier than ever, and that packed trains can lead to some feeling unwell. Alarm activations, however, cause us to hold service while an alarm is investigated. We need your help and ask that alarms only be used in true emergencies. We have made a video to help explain the alarm and how to use it effectively. Please visit the TTC’s YouTube channel (youtube.com/officialTTCchannel).
We all have a role to play in keeping service moving. Thank you for doing your part.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017