TTC pressing the transit funding case in Ottawa11/1/13 6:00 AM
Earlier this week, I was part of a delegation of the Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA) that spent two days in Ottawa meeting Members of Parliament. In an intense schedule of meetings, we spoke with MPs from all parties and pressed the case for sustained, affordable funding for transit.
Our key messages included highlighting the economic benefits of effective public transit, the need for ongoing investment to aid research and development into transit technology, and a call for stiffer penalties for those who assault transit workers.
I intend to spend a good deal of my time over the coming months, making the case for the TTC’s budget with all three orders of government. In addition to speaking with federal and provincial politicians, I am seeking an increase in subsidy from City Council to enable the TTC to keep up with ever-increasing customer numbers and to invest in further service improvements. I see this as investment in both the TTC’s and, by extension, the city’s future.
While I was in Ottawa, I took the opportunity to hand out copies of the TTC’s Five-Year Corporate Plan. It’s important to ensure that MPs understand the challenges we face in Toronto and the steps that we are taking to improve your service.
It’s all part of a concerted campaign to get Toronto’s transit the funding it deserves.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017