It’s time to start building7/19/13 6:00 AM
This week saw City Council vote to extend the Bloor-Danforth subway line from Kennedy Station to Sheppard Avenue East instead of the planned conversion of the Scarborough Rapid Transit (SRT) line to an LRT line, contingent on funding.
My role as TTC CEO is to provide advice to Councillors to help them make informed decisions and to ensure that they understand the wider implications of any change to a previously agreed-to plan. My role is also to ensure that the best interests of the TTC and its riders – 528 million projected this year – is fully represented.
My professional advice was very clear. I believe that, while both options (LRT and subway) are good and viable options, if affordable, subways represent the best long-term investment.
I explicitly stated, however, that any decision to invest in a subway extension must not be at the expense of other, greater priorities – i.e. relief of congestion on the Yonge Line – nor must it lead to a reduction in the TTC’s critical state-of-good-repair program. I also advised Council that increased ridership on an extended Bloor-Danforth line will hasten the need for the replacement of the current signal system to allow us to provide greater capacity on the line.
The decision to proceed with a subway extension means that we will keep the existing SRT operating while the subway line is constructed.
I welcome this clarification by Council. Now let’s get building!
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017