Freak storm hits city, TTC hard7/12/13 6:00 AM
Monday’s (July 8, 2013) weather event tested us all. In the end, we weathered it well.
With practically no notice, the city was caught in a freak and heavy storm that affected virtually every aspect of our operation. The subway lost power in multiple locations, critical infrastructure was damaged, and horrendous road conditions delayed buses and streetcars. For our customers, this made for a long, frustrating ride home.
Our Transit Control Centre team was at the epicentre of our response, working calmly and methodically to evacuate trains that were trapped without power, to provide information and to arrange bus shuttles at the height of the evening rush hour.
Out in the open, infrastructure crews worked in pouring rain to coax failed equipment back to life. Staff volunteered to stay on late and come in early to kick-start our recovery. On the roads, our bus drivers faced horrendous traffic and understandably frustrated customers in one of the biggest bus shuttle operations that we have organized in recent years. The west end of our subway was hardest hit with Kipling Station and the track to Islington flooded and without power for two days.
Throughout the incident, your safety was our primary concern. Working closely with the City and other agencies, we tried very hard to provide alternative service and to keep you informed. As with any crisis, we will learn from this event to improve, as there is always room for improvement.
I would like to thank you, our customers, for your patience while we restored service, and TTC staff that worked so hard to achieve that objective.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017