TTC staff looking to new transfer system, review of transit stops1/31/14 6:00 AM
At a busy TTC Board meeting this week, staff presented several reports, two of which are designed to improve service, and to continually and progressively modernize the TTC.
The first related to TTC transfers. Currently, transfers are good for a single, uninterrupted journey, valid only as one transfers from route to route. Once at a destination, and having left the TTC, the transfer expires.
The Board supported staff’s recommendation to study the option of allowing riders who pay a single fare to make multiple stops, leaving the TTC within a set period of time – say 90 or 120 minutes – using what is commonly called a time-based transfer. Staff will consider the impact on the TTC’s 2015 budget, as a time-based transfer does mean a loss of revenue. But time-based transfers are also a customer benefit, something most transit systems around the world have in place. It also makes good sense as the TTC moves closer to fully adopting the Presto fare card.
The TTC Board also considered a report to direct staff to evaluate the current location or, in some cases, elimination, of some of the TTC’s more than 10,000 stops. The TTC would achieve two objectives with such an evaluation: firstly, working with the City, we would look to improve pedestrian safety by ensuring stops are located as close as possible to signalized intersections or crosswalks; secondly, eliminating some stops that are spaced very closely together would improve speed and reliability along a particular route, especially in the downtown core.
But rest assured, before the TTC makes changes to any stop locations, it will carry out consultations with the local Councillor and community affected, ensuring decisions made are done so with public input.
I will keep you updated on the progress of both of these initiatives.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at email@example.com. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017