A new year, a new start1/11/13 6:00 AM
Shortly after taking over the helm of the TTC last year, I reorganized the company to put the customer front and centre in all that we do.
Using a continuous improvement model that has proved successful elsewhere, we start our planning by identifying customer needs. We then provide the logistics and capacity to deliver the service before coming full circle with a post-journey evaluation of customer feedback to measure the gap between customer expectations and reality.
Late last year, I concluded that further refinement to the organization was necessary. The TTC has traditionally had a very large Operations Branch to handle all aspects of our business – from maintenance to the management of the service and front-line staff. This has served us well, but I felt the time had come to split back-of-house (what you don’t see) from front-of-house (i.e. all customer-facing staff) so we may rapidly accelerate improvements and achieve expertise in both areas.
This works well in the airline industry where one department manages aircraft movement and baggage handling, while another runs the customer side, including check-in and cabin crew.
Effective this week, a new Service Delivery Group is now accountable for bus and streetcar Operators, transit security and subway station customer service staff. The group has a mandate to deliver tangible improvement in service quality (i.e. reducing the number of short turns and improving levels of courtesy and proactive customer information). In parallel, the Operations Group will focus on what it does best: getting the infrastructure, vehicles and subway to run more reliably, while managing the raft of improvement projects coming our way, such as the testing of our new streetcars so they are ready for service in 2014.
I want you to feel valued as customers, and I see this change as crucial to achieving that aim.
The Coupler wants to keep you connected
The Coupler invites all employees and pensioners to sign up for TTC news and headlines via our mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org. Simply send us an e-mail request from your personal e-mail address and include your full name, badge number or pensioner number and work location or home address. Note: personal information is for verification purposes only. Please call Senior Communications Advisor/Editor Mike DeToma at 416-393-3793, or e-mail email@example.com, for more information.
From the Archives
- Next up on Line 1 extension: Pioneer Village Station, 24/11/2017
- 30 days to go: York University Station, 17/11/2017
- Next stop on TTC Line 1 extension: Finch West Station, 10/11/2017
- TTC’s Line 1 extension just weeks from opening, 03/11/2017
- Countdown on to opening TTC’s Line 1 extension , 27/10/2017
- TTC staff impartial, professional public servants: City AG, 20/10/2017
- TTC family mourns Tom Dedes, 13/10/2017
- Have you got your PRESTO card yet? TTC Metropass now on PRESTO, 06/10/2017
- TTC adds all night subway service this weekend for Nuit Blanche, 29/09/2017
- Countdown on to TTC’s Line 1 extension, 22/09/2017