Victoria Park Station
TTC Wins Major Awards
On September 11, 2013, the TTC was presented with an Urban Design Award by the City of Toronto for its project “Modernization and Replacement of Victoria Park Bus Terminal”. The Award of Excellence won by the TTC was one of five presented in the category “Buildings in Context - Public”. The City holds the Urban Design Awards every other year to acknowledge the significant contribution that architects, landscape architects, urban designers, artists, design students, and city builders make to the look and livability of our city. Read more about the Toronto Urban Design Awards.
The project, completed in 2011, included the rehabilitation and upgrading of Victoria Park Station, which is used by more than 25,000 people each day. The TTC used the opportunity to convert the station from a "cavernous, concrete bunker" (Globe and Mail, 07/24/12) to a user-friendly station with natural lighting through multiple windows. The design improved connections within the station itself and to the surrounding community, making Victoria Park Station an integral part of the neighbourhood.
The Modernization included the following improvements:
- A new six bay-bus terminal at street level;
- An updated station interior with public art, new wall finishes, refurbished floors, improved signage and upgraded lighting;
- 5000 square metres of green roofs for the existing station and the new bus terminal canopies –– at the time it was built, this was largest green roof in Toronto;
- A new off-street Passenger Pick-up and Drop-off (PPUDO) facility and taxi stand;
- Existing main entrance improvements;
- A new automatic entrance;
- Improved streetscaping at station entrances;
- A new widened elevated north pedestrian walkway and new windows on the north side at platform level;
- Barrier-free access through fare line modifications and the installation of three new elevators;
- Upgraded exterior station finishes;
- A new signalized pedestrian crossing on Victoria Park Avenue;
- Adding bicycle lanes to Victoria Park Avenue; and
- Bicycle storage facility.
The project was undertaken to improve customer experience, increase accessibility for customers of all levels of mobility, and to address structural deterioration.
The Station renovation also provided a community building component. The area residents were encouraged to take part in the development of the design throughout the process.
Photos of the Project
Elevator Alert: Kennedy Station, subway platform to concourse level, out of service until January 2018 due to construction
Last updated Dec 11, 3:08 PM