Construction Newsletter - Spring 2012
May 22, 2012
What is going on at Keele and Finch?
TTC is building the new Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension, a six station, 8.6 kilometre line that will extend from the existing Downsview Station and will end at Highway 7 west of Jane Street. The second station on the new line will be Finch West Station, to be located under Keele Street, north of Finch Avenue West.
Last year utility relocation work was completed in your neighbourhood to make way for the station. Last fall tunnelling began for the new line. Right now all four tunnel boring machines are headed toward the Keele Finch area and will arrive at different points in time at the extraction shaft. Holey and Moley are boring the twin tunnels north from the Sheppard West Station site and both machines are now under Keele Street, headed to the extraction shaft located in the middle of Keele Street, just south of Finch Avenue West. Yorkie and Torkie are boring south from Steeles West, through York University campus and are headed toward the extraction shaft on Keele Street, located just north of Murray Ross Parkway. (Read more about tunnelling and the extraction shafts below).
Construction Work Hours
The City of Toronto has approved a noise by-law amendment for major transit projects which allows contractors to perform overnight and weekend work for the duration of the project, when required. Extended work hours are expected to be in effect in the Keele/Finch area this spring and summer.
Finch West Station construction work is permitted from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., 7 days per week.
Tunnel construction using Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs), and related activities, including excavation, is permitted 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
What are we doing to keep you moving during construction:
- Opened Tangiers Road and Murray Ross Parkway Detour around Keele Street and Finch Avenue West intersection to help ease traffic.
- Opened a multi-use pathway for pedestrians and cyclists on the west side of Keele Street from Catford Road to north of Four Winds Drive.
- Operating the York University Busway between Downsview Station and York University’s Keele campus.
- Installing traffic and construction information signs in your neighbourhood.
- Paid Duty Officers will help keep traffic moving through these intersections (when required).
- Distributing construction notices by mail and email.
- Updating Construction News on our project website www.spadina.ttc.ca.
- Providing media updates through TTC’s Transit Reporters on Breakfast Television, CP24 and 680News.
What you will see in the next few months:
- Keele Street remains closed northbound, north of Finch to Murray Ross Parkway.
- “Holey” will be removed from the extraction shaft on Keele Street south of Finch Avenue West, followed by “Moley” later in the spring.
- Excavation of the subway station.
- Installation of shoring and tie-backs in the station box.
- Delivery of building materials/supplies and large concrete pours.
- Installation of several tower cranes.
Construction of Subway Tunnels
Four tunnel boring machines (TBMs) will do most of the tunnelling. The TBMs for this project were so large they had to be delivered in pieces to the launch shafts at the Sheppard West Station and Steeles West Station construction sites. The TBM cutterhead excavates the tunnel using discs and scrapers that crush and remove soil and debris. A conveyor removes debris from the tunnel using rail cars. The TBMs move slowly advancing up to 15 metres per day, removing earth and lining the tunnels with concrete “Tunnel Liners”.
There are two extraction shafts located in your neighbourhood on Keele Street. The first extraction shaft is located south of Finch Avenue West and the second is located north of Murray Ross Parkway. From the extraction shafts the four TBMs are to be removed over the next year. After the TBMs are removed, the shafts will be used to deliver subway equipment to the tunnels.
TTC Bus Route Services
Transit delays can be expected during peak times on buses:
- 36 Finch West
- 107 Keele Street
- 41 Keele Street
Bus stops may be temporarily relocated for construction. Watch for posted notices.
Keele-Finch detour in effect. Watch for future notices of changes to traffic detours.
For More Information:
- Web: spadina.ttc.ca
- Visit: Project Information Centre:
1120 Finch Avenue West, Suite 800, 8th Floor North York, ON
Hours: Monday & Fridays: 10:00 a.m - 4:00 p.m. and Thursday: 2:00 p.m - 5:00 p.m.
- Call: 1.800.223.6192 to book an appointment
- Email: email@example.com to receive regular construction notices
Pour de plus amples renseignements sur le service
de la TTC, appelez le 1.800.223.6192
Per maggiori informazioni sui servizi TTC chiamate
Para mayor información sobre los servicios de la
TTC, llame al 1.800.223.6192
Para sa karag dagang impor mas yon tungkol sa
TTC, tumawag sa 1.800.223.6192
Para mais informações relacionadas com os
transportes públicos (TTC), contacte-nos através
Please support the Keele and Finch local neighbourhood shops and businesses during subway construction.