Read About Key Project Information
The Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project will provide a critical extension for the existing Toronto Transit Commission subway system across the municipal boundary between the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York (York Region)
Facts about the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension
- Length of Subway Extension: 8.6 km
- 6.2 km from Sheppard West Station (currently known as Downsview Station) to Pioneer Village Station (in Toronto)
- 2.4 km from Pioneer Village Station to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station (in York Region)
This will be the first Toronto Transit Commission rapid transit line to cross the City of Toronto boundary.
About the Route
The Toronto - York Spadina Subway Extension is an 8.6km extension from Downsview Station northwest through York University within the City of Toronto and north to the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, in The Regional Municipality of York.
Planned Service Levels:
- Trains every 4 minutes
Six stations will be built along the extension:
- Downsview Park - south of Sheppard Avenue West, adjacent to the Barrie GO Transit Line
- Finch West - at the intesection of Keele Street and Finch Avenue West
- York University at York Boulevard and Ian Macdonald Boulevard
- Pioneer Village - at North West Gate and Steeles Avenue, east of Jane Street
- Highway 407 - south of Highway 407 and west Jane Street
- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at Highway 7 and Millway Avenue.
To encourage commuters to use the subway system, approximately 2,900 new parking spaces will be built at three stations along the extension. They include:
- Finch West Station - 400 spaces
- Pioneer Village Station - 1,900 spaces
- Highway 407 Station - 600 spaces
Open for Service:
Subway service is expected to begin at the end of 2017.
- Provincial environmental assessment approved for Sheppard West to Steeles West portion in March 2007
- Provincial environmental assessment approved for Pioneer Village to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre portion in April 2007
- Federal Environmental Assessment approved for entire project in March 2008
Estimated Project Cost:
The estimated cost of this project is $3.18 billion.
The Toronto - York Spadina Subway Extension project is jointly funded by the Government of Canada, the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and The Regional Municipality of York.
- The Government of Canada has committed $697 million to the project.
- The Province of Ontario has provided $974 million, held in the Move Ontario Trust.
- The City of Toronto will contribute $907 million and The Regional Municipality of York will contribute $606 million toward total project costs.