Waterfront East LRT neighbourhood - survey work, utility and geotechnical investigations
Weekend work on February 6 and 7
What we are doing and why
In order to finish the drill work early for this project, there will be weekend work this coming weekend on February 6 and 7, 2021. On November 16, 2020, crews began survey, utility and geotechnical investigations, including borehole drilling as part of the Waterfront East Light Rail Transit (LRT) project to accommodate additional streetcar lines to the East Bayfront Area of Toronto’s Waterfront. The survey, utility and borehole work areas are located on both sides of Bay Street south of Front Street to Queens Quay Boulevard and on both sides of Queens Quay Boulevard from Bay Street to Yonge Street.
The drill rig work is anticipated to be completed now on February 7, 2021. There will be four drill rigs on site this week. Ground water monitoring will continue for several months. The borehole locations are shown in red on the map. Future survey work will also be done for the Waterfront East LRT project on Front Street, Lakeshore Boulevard, Harbour Street, Queens Quay, Cherry Street and Parliament Street.
- Work at these locations is expected this week from February 1-7, 2021.
- Work is planned between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Sunday, to complete the drilling work.
- Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to expect
- Temporary lane closures will occur during this work, please take extra care while travelling in the areas.
- Equipment and work trucks will be present on the roadway as crews move from one borehole to the next.
- Four drill rigs will be active this week at various locations.
- You may experience noise and vibration related to drilling, hydro-vacuuming, and equipment use. Efforts will be made to keep noise levels to a minimum.
- Temporary spray paint markings will be used in the road and on the sidewalks.
Traffic, pedestrian and transit restrictions
- Pedestrian walkways and property access will be maintained at all times.
- No impacts to TTC bus stops are anticipated.
- As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Christina Joseph, Senior Community Liaison, 416-994-0923, Christina.email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service