Waterfront East LRT neighbourhood - survey work, utility and geotechnical investigations between Front and Lake Shore
August 30 to late September, 2021
What we are doing and why
On August 30, 2021, crews will continue survey, utility and geotechnical investigations, including borehole drilling as part of the Waterfront East Light Rail Transit (LRT) Project to accommodate additional streetcar lines to the East Bayfront Area of Toronto’s Waterfront. The survey, utility and borehole work are located by Union Station along Bay Street between Front Street and Lake Shore Boulevard.
The work is anticipated to be completed in three weeks. The borehole locations are shown in red on the map. Future survey work will also be done for the Waterfront East LRT project on Front Street, Lakeshore Boulevard, Harbour Street, Queens Quay, Cherry Street and Parliament Street.
- Work is planned overnight between 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., Monday to Friday with the potential for weekend work. A separate construction notice will be issued if weekend work is required.
- Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to expect
- Temporary lane closures will occur during this work, please take extra care while travelling in the areas.
- Equipment and work trucks will be present on the roadway as crews move from one borehole to the next.
- Drilling crews will be at each borehole location for approximately 5 to 8 days, with occasional follow up visits to each location as required.
- You may experience noise and vibration related to drilling, hydro-vacuuming, and equipment use. Efforts will be made to keep noise levels to a minimum.
- Temporary spray paint markings will be used in the road and on the sidewalks.
Traffic, pedestrian and transit restrictions
- Pedestrian walkways and property access will be maintained at all times.
- No impacts to TTC bus stops are anticipated.
- As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Please reach out to for more information on this work to: Alexa Aiken, Community Liaison, Alexa.Aiken@ttc.ca, 437-488-5084.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service