Queen Street West and Ossington Avenue - westbound and eastbound streetcar stop rail replacement and essential rail repairs
May 24 to 30, 2020
What we are doing and why
Starting at 5 a.m. on Sunday, May 24, TTC track crews will begin setting up two work zones to replace the rail at the eastbound and westbound streetcar stops on Queen Street West at Ossington Avenue. Work activities will be contained within the track area and will include: saw cutting, milling and minor breaking of concrete to expose the rail; replacing existing rail with new rail; and placement of new concrete. Track crews may also undertake some other small works between Dovercourt Road and Strachan Avenue.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to the curb lane in each direction through the work zones for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to maintain traffic and to create safe work zones for the crew.
- The location of the work zones will inhibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zones will be cleared by Saturday morning around 5 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- On Sunday morning at 5 a.m. the track crew will begin setting up the work zones. At 7 a.m. crews will begin cutting into the concrete and at 8 a.m. concrete milling and localized excavation will begin at one location then move to the next in order to expose the rail to be replaced. This concrete milling and excavation will end nightly by 10 p.m. Concrete cutting and chipping can be expected for a few days.
- While most work typically ends at 11 p.m., rail work of this nature requires periods of around-the-clock work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Saturday morning.
TTC service - 5 a.m. Sunday, May 24 to 5 a.m. Saturday, May 30
- Replacement buses will operate on Queen Street between the Sunnyside Loop near The Queensway and Roncesvalles and the Wolseley Loop at Queen and Bathurst.
- Streetcars will divert both ways via Shaw Street and King Street to regular routing on Queen Street/The Queensway.
Thank you for your patience as we make these important repairs to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information, please contact:
Arno van Dijk, Construction Liaison Officer, 416-434-0759, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service