King Street West and Dowling Avenue - streetcar rail repair
5 a.m. October 17 to 5 a.m. October 19
What we are doing and why
Starting at 5 a.m. on Saturday, October 17, TTC track crews will be replacing a short section of the rail on King Street West at Dowling Avenue. All work activities will be contained within the track area and will include: breaking of concrete to expose the rail; replacing existing rail with new rail; and placement of new concrete.
Traffic and parking restrictions
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zone for the duration of the work.
- On-street parking will be restricted through the area to maintain traffic and to create a safe work zone for the crew.
- The location of the work zone may inhibit left turns.
- The lane restrictions and work zone will be cleared by Monday morning around 5 a.m. after the newly placed concrete has cured adequately for road traffic.
Work hours and timeline
- On Saturday morning at 5 a.m. the track crew will begin setting up the work zone. At 7 a.m. crews will begin cutting into the concrete and at 8 a.m., localized excavation and concrete milling will begin in order to expose the rail to be replaced, which will end nightly by 10 p.m.
- Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. Concrete cutting and chipping can be expected the first day.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
- Concrete is poured in the track area and set to cure. The new concrete requires curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road use Monday morning.
TTC service - 5 a.m. Saturday, October 17 to 5 a.m. Monday, October 19
- Replacement buses will operate on King Street West between the Sunnyside Loop at King and Roncesvalles and the area of King and University
- Streetcars will divert in both directions via Queen Street West and Shaw Street.
Thank you for your patience as we make these important repairs to maintain safe streetcar service.
For further information:
Arno van Dijk, Construction Liaison Officer, 416-434-0759, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service