Kennedy Station - Eglinton Crosstown construction
May 1, 2017 until approximately 2021
Metrolinx is building the Eglinton Crosstown, Toronto’s new 19-kilometre light rail transit (LRT) line that will run along Eglinton Avenue with a central 10 km underground section. The Crosstown will connect Mount Dennis in the west to Kennedy Road in the east, and the new service will be up to 60% faster than the bus service today. With 25 stations and stops and connections to 3 TTC subway stations, 54 local bus routes, 3 GO Transit lines and the UP Express, the Crosstown will improve travel times and change the way we move through the heart of the city.
How Metrolinx construction will affect TTC's Kennedy Station
North commuter lot
As part of the Metrolinx Crosstown project, the north commuter lot has been closed until approximately 2021. There will be reduced parking at the east and south lots during the various stages of construction in the future.
For customer use, Warden Station's north commuter lot has 920 spaces, located at 705 Warden Avenue.
For TTC commuter parking lot information call 416-393-4636.
North pedestrian tunnel closure - starting January 15
- The existing Kennedy Station North Entrance and connected Pedestrian Tunnel will be permanently closed and demolished.
- During the demolition process, the tunnel will be closed to public access to ensure safety.
- Closure of the pedestrian tunnel requires the work to take place in the overnight period when the station is not open to the public.
- TTC passengers wishing to enter Kennedy Station will be able to do so through the South Entrance or the Passenger Pick-Up and Drop-Off area.
- The Taxi Stand Area has been relocated to the Passenger Pick-Up and Drop-Off area.
Work is permitted between the hours of:
- 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven (7) days a week;
- Overnight from 2 a.m. – 6 a.m., Monday to Saturday; and,
- Overnight from 2 a.m. – 7 a.m. on Sundays.
During the station’s operating hours the pedestrian tunnel acts as an emergency exit, therefore the work must occur overnight, when the pedestrian tunnel is closed to the public.
The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours, but may do so at its discretion. Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to expect
- Construction activities will take place within an enclosed work zone.
- Once demolition is complete, crews will begin support of excavation work for the new Eglinton Crosstown LRT platform.
- Nearby residents, businesses, and transit users can expect to hear noise related to road coring, drilling, hydro-vacuuming, and the use of heavy equipment.
- Pedestrians will be rerouted around the demolition site.
For more information about the Metrolinx project at Kennedy Station, please contact:
East Community Office
660 Eglinton Avenue East (Sunnybrook Plaza)
Victoria Park: Elevator out of service between overpass, Victoria Park Ave entrance and concourse.
Last updated Jul 3, 6:39 PM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service