Dundas Street East from Yonge Street to Church Street - watermain replacement, streetcar track replacement and road improvements
TTC track work between July 17 to September 16, 2017
This summer, the City of Toronto will replace the watermain and City-owned substandard water services on Dundas Street between Yonge Street and Church Street. Working with the TTC, streetcar tracks will also be replaced at Victoria Street/Dundas Street East/Dundas Square following the watermain work. To accommodate the streetcar track replacement work, three lanes of Dundas Street will be completely closed through Victoria Street for five weeks between July and September. Work will also involve reconstructing 142 metres of O'Keefe Lane north of Gould Street.
For this project, crews will:
- replace the old watermain and water service connections
- remove the concrete and old streetcar track, replace the concrete and install new track
- reconstruct O'Keefe Lane over two weeks
- repair sidewalks for accessibility improvements
- restore the road and sidewalks where necessary
TTC track replacement
Track work will be conducted from July 17 to September 16 in the area of Dundas/Victoria/Dundas Sq.
- Victoria St. at Dundas Sq. and south of Dundas Sq.
- Victoria St. from Dundas St. to Dundas Sq.
- Dundas St./Dundas Sq. from Victoria St. to Victoria St. Ln.
Work hours – includes overnight
The first few days of track work in each of the areas will generally involve breaking and removing concrete within the streetcar track areas up to 11 p.m. The rail installation phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work and extended weekend hours by TTC crews. The overnight rail work may consist of moving rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding. After-hours work by TTC is required to support the daytime construction and complete the project as quickly as possible.
Pre-assembled rail panels on flat-deck trailers will be temporarily stored in the track allowance near the work area. The rail panels help speed up installation, thereby reducing overnight work.
- The flat-deck trailers with rail panels will be delivered between midnight and 6 a.m. during the first week.
- Up to four trailers will be parked on the track allowance on Dundas St. west of Yonge St.
- Up to four trailers will be parked on the track allowance on Victoria St. south of Dundas Sq.
- Up to four trailers will be parked on the track allowance on Dundas St. east of Bond St.
- Eastbound traffic will not be able to travel on Dundas Street between Bay and Church Street from July 17 to September 16.
- One lane of westbound traffic on Dundas Street will be maintained.
- Victoria Street will be closed in both directions, between Dundas Street and south of Dundas Square.
- Some parking restrictions will apply in the area.
TTC Service Changes
Route diverting between Bay Street and Church Street. June 4 to October 15, 2017
Last updated May 31 2017, 1:17 PM
For further information:
For City of Toronto watermain work: Easan Vallipuram, Project Manager, 416-338-5548, email@example.com.
For TTC track work: Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-2197, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service