Danforth Avenue subway ventilation shaft - essential repairs
Starting Thursday, August 31, 2017
Danforth Avenue west of Broadview Avenue
Start date: Thursday, August 31, 2017
Content/timeline accurate at time of posting
Work description and purpose
Starting on August 31, 2017, TTC will begin state of good repair to the subway ventilation shaft situated on the north sidewalk of Danforth Avenue just west of Broadview Avenue. This work is scheduled to take approximately 6 to 7 weeks to complete, weather permitting. All work will occur on the north side of Danforth Avenue in the sidewalk area.
Sidewalk, traffic and cyclist restrictions
- The north sidewalk and bike lane will be closed for the duration of the work. A shared pedestrian and cyclist path will be provided around the work zone. Cyclists are required to dismount for safety.
- Westbound traffic will be reduced to one lane through the work zone.
- In preparation for the work, a crew will arrive at approximately 4:30 a.m. on August 28 to set up the required traffic configuration on Danforth Avenue to establish a work zone. This must be done during the early morning for safety reasons when traffic volume on Danforth Avenue is lower. Similarly, the work zone will be removed early in the morning after completion of the project.
- Replacement of the metal grate.
- Rehabilitation of the concrete and beam support structure, requiring removal of the top 0.6 meters (2 feet) of concrete along the shaft perimeter.
- Restoring the sidewalk area after repairs are completed.
- Generally, the first week of work will generate the loudest noise (saw-cutting and drilling) during the repairs.
A concrete saw-cutter, hand-held power chipping tools, a generator, scaffolding, a small crane, and concrete truck as required.
To help expedite the completion, work will be scheduled from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays. Occasionally, the TTC crew may need to work on Saturdays.
Thank you for your patience during this essential infrastructure repair work.
Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; email@example.com.
Customer Service, 416-393-3030 (daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., closed holidays) or @TTChelps.
TTY Line, 416-481-2523 (daily 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed holidays).
Route/Schedules/Fares: 416-393-4636 or ttc.ca.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service