Dundas Street West and College Street - track and intersection improvements
October 28 to late December 2020
The City of Toronto and TTC will be renewing aged streetcar tracks at the intersection of College Street and Dundas Street West, over to and including an area just west of Sterling Road. Other work includes, road resurfacing, some sidewalk repairs and intersection improvements.
This work is the last of three track replacement projects in recent years required for the Lansdowne/Dundas/College triangle. A separate City of Toronto notice will be issued providing further details.
A full closure of the Dundas Street West/Sterling Road intersection and the College Street/Dundas Street West intersection, west of Lansdowne Avenue is required.
- Dundas/Sterling intersection closure: October 28 to November 2, 2020.
- Dundas Street West/Sterling Bridge will be closed for the duration of the project.
- Dundas/College intersection closure: November 16 to late December 2020.
In addition to track renewal, intersection, some sidewalk and cycling infrastructure improvements will be made in this area, as well as road reconstruction of Lumbervale Avenue between Lansdowne Avenue and St Helens Avenue, and St Helens from College Street to Lumbervale.
See the City of Toronto notice for further details on city improvements.
- October 28 to November 2 - Dundas Street West at Sterling Road
The Dundas Street West and Sterling Road intersection will be closed for approximately 5 days for removal of concrete and old streetcar track and installation of new concrete and rail.
- October 28 to late December 2020
The Dundas/Sterling Bridge will be closed for track renewal and for the duration of the project.
- November 16 to late December 2020 - Dundas Street West / College Street Intersection
The Dundas and College intersection will be closed for track renewal, intersection, road and sidewalk infrastructure improvements, and new traffic signal installation.
In advance of this phase of the project, TTC will deliver and store a number of rail panel trailers in the track lanes on College and Dundas streets between Lansdowne Avenue and Margueretta Street. On-street parking will be temporarily restricted upon delivery of the rail panel trailers until rail installation is complete. For safety, this activity will take place overnight with a police escort.
During this project, there will be no on street parking or through traffic on Dundas Street West from Lansdowne Avenue to Sterling Road.
- Work on this project will take place 24 hours 7 days a week.
- Excavation activities and heavy breaking will be carried out at various times throughout the day. All concrete breaking activities will occur between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- Concrete breaking work is the most disruptive and will typically last the first 1-2 days for each phase of the construction.
- The rail installation phase of this project requires periods of around-the-clock work by TTC to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete, and to support the daytime work. Overnight rail work by TTC may consist of moving new rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding.
TTC service - 505 Dundas and 506 / 306 Carlton routes
Westbound 505 Dundas streetcars are currently diverting via Dundas, College and east on Dundas to route.
- During the intersection closure of College/Dundas, westbound 505 Dundas streetcars will turn back (looping via), Dundas, Lansdowne, College, Ossington and east on Dundas to route.
- During the period when the rail panel trailers are delivered and stored in the track lanes on Dundas and College streets (tentatively starting November 12), the westbound 505 Dundas streetcar routing will be modified. Westbound streetcars will be diverted to Bathurst Station, and a 505 shuttle bus service will operate on Dundas Street west of Spadina Avenue to Lansdowne Avenue.
506 / 306 Carlton buses are currently operating on this route. Buses will continue to divert both ways via: College, Lansdowne and Bloor to Dundas West
For further information:
- TTC Senior Community Liaison - Diego Sinagoga, 416-393-2197, email@example.com
- City of Toronto Public Consultation Unit - Paul Martin,416-392-6681, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service