Wellington Street downtown area - City watermain and TTC track work
April 10 to October 27, 2017
This spring and summer, the City of Toronto will be working on Wellington Street between York Street and Church Street replacing the watermain and upgrading the City-owned portion of substandard water services. When the watermain work is completed, the City will remove the existing streetcar tracks from just west of Yonge Street into the intersection at York Street, and TTC will reconstruct the westbound track only.
In addition, there will be two intersection closures at the intersections of Wellington Street and Bay Street (June 1 to 5) and Wellington Street and York Street (June 8 to 15) to reconstruct the streetcar tracks and roadway.
This work is being done to improve water distribution, reduce the risk of watermain breaks and improve the quality of TTC track in the area. This project is part of the Council-approved 2017 Capital Works Program to improve water distribution, reduce watermain breaks and to bring the track infrastructure to a state of good repair.
See the City's latest construction notice for further details.
Construction crews will:
- Replace the watermain from Church Street to York Street and complete connections to other existing watermains.
- Remove the existing streetcar track and reconstruct the westbound track only from just west of Yonge Street into the intersection at York Street. The streetcar overhead along this stretch has already been upgraded.
- Partially reconstruct sections of curb and sidewalk and complete streetscape work from York Street to Yonge Street.
- Restore the road area where watermain work was completed.
What to expect during construction
- You will experience dust, noise and other inconveniences. The City will make efforts to reduce impacts. Your patience is appreciated.
- Work is planned for the sidewalk and boulevard, property owners with items in the boulevard will have to move them during construction.
Extended & Overnight Hours: The work hours on this project for the watermain are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with work outside of these hours including weekends as necessary to complete water service connections.
When the project starts track replacement, excavation activities will extend to 11 p.m. during weekend work at some Wellington Street intersections, i.e. Bay Street and at York Street. Other work will take place over night.
The TTC track reconstruction phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work. The overnight rail work by TTC may consist of moving new rail into position, rail installation and rail welding / grinding. In addition, some streetcar overhead wiring work will be performed overnight, as required. After-hours work by TTC is required to support the daytime construction and complete the project as quickly as possible.
TTC service changes
503 Kingston Rd streetcar route: During the project, streetcars will run on the 503 route and will be diverted via King Street to Spadina; turning back via Spadina, Adelaide and Charlotte.
121 Fort York-Esplanade bus route: During the project, buses will maintain regular routing on Wellington Street through the work zone.
During the partial closure at Wellington and Bay intersection: June 1 to 5
6 Bay bus route:
- Southbound: Buses will divert via south on Bay Street, east on Adelaide, Street, south on Yonge Street, west on Front Street and south on Bay Street.
- Northbound: Buses will divert via north on Bay Street, west on Front Street, north on York Street, east on Adelaide Street and north on Bay Street.
320 Yonge Night Bus: Buses will divert via south on Yonge Street, west on Front Street and south on Bay Street to regular routing.
72B Pape bus route: southbound buses will divert via west on Queens Quay East, north on Yonge Street, west on Front Street and south on Bay Street to route.
During the partial closure at Wellington and York intersection: June 8 to 15
The closure at the York/Wellington intersection from June 8 to 15 does not require further changes to service.
503 Kingston Rd streetcar route: During the Wellington Street project, streetcars are running on the 503 route and are diverted to operate via King Street to Spadina Avenue; turning back via Spadina Avenue, Adelaide Street and Charlotte Street.
121 Fort York-Esplanade bus route: buses will maintain regular routing on Wellington Street through the work zone.
Traffic details during partial intersection closures
Wellington Street (June 1 to 5)
- There will be ONE lane on Wellington Street in the north curb lane through the intersection of Bay Street (same as current traffic staging)
- There will be NO TURNS off of Wellington Street at Bay Street or York Street.
- Drivers / Deliveries can access parking garages off of Wellington Street. They can turn onto Wellington at Yonge Street or further east, the earliest exit west of Yonge Street off Wellington Street is University Avenue.
Bay Street (June 8 to 15)
- There will be no through access north or south of Wellington Street on Bay Street.
- Local access only on Bay Street to businesses / parking garages on Bay Street between King Street and Wellington Street and between Front Street and Wellington Street.
Paid duty officers will be around the intersection to help direct and control traffic.
For further information:
City project contact: Barry Budhu, 416-392-0123, email@example.com.
TTC track related inquiries: Diego Sinagoga, 416-393-2197, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service