Know Your TTC
Moving toward a better tomorrow
Better transit runs on
- Fares don’t cover the cost of every trip, so as ridership grows, the TTC’s costs grow
- The TTC gets less financial help than any other major North American transit system – only 84¢ per customer from Toronto property taxpayers
- Montreal gets $1.28 per customer from city and provincial governments
- Chicago gets $2.64 per customer from local, state and federal governments
- More help from provincial and federal governments will allow the TTC to meet Toronto’s growing transit needs
Your TTC is still the best
deal on wheels.
- Gasoline costs rose almost 20% for each of the last three years
- CAA estimates the cost of owning and operating a car in Toronto is $8,900 - $12,000 per year
- Parking costs an average of $4,000 per year in Toronto
- An adult Metropass offers unlimited travel, transferability and a federal tax credit – all for as little as $1,386 per year
Transit makes a healthy economy and a healthy Toronto.
- Gridlock costs Toronto an estimated $6 billion each year
- Fewer cars mean cleaner air
- One TTC bus replaces 45 cars in rush hour
- One TTC streetcar replaces 95 cars in rush hour
- One TTC subway train replaces 910 cars in rush hour
- Because of its importance, your TTC has been declared an essential service
Your TTC is upgrading
to serve you better.
- Online trip planner and mobile website to help you get to where you need to go
- Real-time information about when your next bus, streetcar or subway is arriving
- Immediate e-mail notification when there is a service disruption
- Direct customer input to help improve the TTC – town hall meetings, meet-the-manager and permanent customer service panel
Investing today for
a better tomorrow.
- Spadina Subway extension to York University and north to Vaughan
- 60 sleek new Toronto Rocket subway trains
- 204 new accessible streetcars
- Renovated Union Station to include a second platform
- A new way to pay fares – the PRESTO smartcard
110 Islington South route diverting southbound via Lunness, Valemo, Browns Line due to a construction on Browns Line at Horner.
Last updated 10:30 AM