Back to school on the TTC
August 29, 2019
The TTC has some back-to-school reminders for students and parents as they begin a new school year.
Children 12 and under ride the TTC for free. All other students can pay their TTC fare using several methods of payment, including:
PRESTO single fares
- $2.15 for youth 13-19
- $3.10 for post-secondary students
PRESTO Monthly Pass
- $122.45 for youth 13-19
- $122.45 for post-secondary students
- $2.20 for youth 13-19
- $3.25 for post-secondary students
TICKETS AND TOKENS
- $10.75 for five tickets for youth 13-19
- $3.10 for minimum 3 tokens for post-secondary students
Post-secondary students enrolled full-time at an accredited institution in Toronto are eligible for a discounted monthly pass on PRESTO. They will be required to have a TTC post-secondary student photo ID in order to set their PRESTO fare type, purchase, and use their post-secondary monthly pass on PRESTO. IDs can be purchased from the TTC Photo ID Centre at Sherbourne Station or on campus, as some colleges and universities have photo ID days.
The TTC asks all students, as a courtesy to others, to remove their backpacks and place them on their lap if sitting or on the floor between their feet if standing. Students are also reminded to remove their headphones or reduce the volume when appropriate so that they can hear important announcements.
The TTC would also like to remind everyone about some important safety tips as the school year begins:
- Drivers: As the streets, sidewalks and crosswalks get busier for back-to-school, please be extra vigilant while commuting. Please yield the right-of-way to TTC vehicles and make sure to slow down to allow buses to re-enter traffic after servicing stops.
- Pedestrians: Please don’t run alongside or in front of a bus or streetcar. It’s always safer to wait for the next vehicle, which will be along soon.
- Subway riders: Always stand behind the yellow line on the platform when waiting for a subway train. Never descend to track level for any reason. If you drop something, such as your cell phone, leave it and tell a TTC uniformed employee who will make arrangements to retrieve it.
- Streetcar riders: Be sure to check to make certain that traffic has stopped before exiting a streetcar.
- Bus/streetcar riders: When on board, always be sure to stand behind the white line at the front of the vehicle and stand clear of the doors.
Customers are encouraged to take advantage of the increased streetcar and bus service to and from the CNE this Labour Day weekend. For more details, please visit ttc.ca.
REMINDER: There are no subway closures planned for this Labour Day weekend.
View all articles from August
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.