TTC streetcar service changes coming to King St.
September 24, 2018
Starting Sunday, Oct. 7, the TTC is making two major route changes that will improve streetcar service along the busy King St. corridor.
In order to provide more reliable scheduled service for its 80,000 daily riders, the 504 King route will be split into two branches (see attached maps):
- 504A King (Dundas W Stn - Distillery) via Roncesvalles Ave., King St. and Cherry St.
- 504B King (Broadview Stn - Dufferin Gate) via Broadview Ave., King St. and Dufferin St.
The 514 Cherry service is being discontinued as a standalone route with service being replaced by the new King routes. This change is being made to provide more clarity for customers traveling along King St. with all streetcars designated as 504 King, with respective A or B branches indicated.
The change means the two shorter branches of 504 King will service the King Street Pilot area and reduce the need for short turns as a delay on one end of either branch is far less likely to affect service throughout the entire route. Both routes will service King St. between Dufferin and Sumach streets.
Reliability is also improved by changing terminal points. Currently, Dundas West and Broadview stations can only fit one low-floor streetcar at the stations' platforms at a time, while multiple streetcars can be located at the Dufferin Gate and Distillery loops, helping service recover more efficiently.
Both branches of the 504 King will be served by new accessible low-floor streetcars. Temporarily, there will be a need to supplement some rush hour service with older streetcars until the TTC receives additional new streetcars in the coming months. Consistent with the TTC's commitment to our neighbours, older streetcars will not service the Distillery Loop due to noise.
- During the busiest times in the morning, 42 low-floor streetcars will service King St. - 22 on 504A and 20 on 504B
- Streetcars will operate every 2-3 minutes during the morning rush hour
- With full low-floor operation, capacity is increased to almost 3,000 people per hour, per direction from the current 2,500.
- In the morning rush, full route trip times will be 108 minutes for 504A and 98 minutes for 504B. The current trip time for the 504 King is 122 minutes.
For more information, visit www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/504-514_route_change.jsp
View all articles from September
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.