Streetcar track construction brings TTC service changes this summer
May 9, 2018
This spring and summer, several bus and streetcar routes will divert and relocate as the TTC upgrades streetcar tracks at Parliament and Gerrard Sts., and on Broadview Ave. between Dundas St. E. and Gerrard St. E. Work will also include improvements to Main Street Station.
The first of these service changes take effect this Sunday, May 13.
Main Street Station
At Main Street Station, the TTC will make repairs and upgrades to the station roof, sections of the bus roadway and platform, lighting, and streetcar track and overhead systems. The majority of the work will take place while the bus/streetcar loop is closed from May 13 until early September.
- 20 Cliffside, 23 Dawes and 300 Blue Night: route maintained; on-street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 62 Mortimer, 64 Main and 87 Cosburn: route maintained, buses diverting to/from Main Street Station; on-street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 113 Danforth and 135 Gerrard: route shortened, buses diverting to Victoria Park Station; no stop at Danforth/Main.
- 506 Carlton: replaced by buses, route diverting to Victoria Park Station from Gerrard/Main via Gerrard St. and Victoria Park Ave.; no stop at Danforth/Main.
- 306 Carlton: replaced by buses, route maintained and extended to Victoria Park Station via Danforth and Victoria Park Aves.
Temporary stops will be posted on Danforth Ave. near Main St. where customers can transfer between buses and subway. Nearby parking will be restricted as required to accommodate bus stops.
TTC staff will hold information sessions at Main Street Station this Thurs., May 10, from 1 - 3 p.m. and from 5 - 6 p.m.
Starting this Mon., May 14 at 5 a.m., the intersection at Gerrard St. E. and Parliament St. will close in all directions for three weeks while City of Toronto and TTC crews work to replace streetcar tracks.
On Mon., June 4 at 6 a.m., one lane of traffic in each direction will re-open.
The full closure will require the following temporary routes changes:
- 506/306 Carlton: replacement buses will divert around the closed intersection both ways via Carlton St., Sherbourne St., Dundas St. E., River St. and Gerrard St. E. to route.
- 65/365 Parliament: buses will divert both ways via Parliament St., Carlton St., Sherbourne St., Dundas St. E. and Parliament St. to route.
Note to cyclists: during this work, TTC buses will operate on streets typically serviced by streetcars, many of which are equipped with dedicated bike lanes. On these routes, buses service these stops at the curb. TTC operators use extreme caution when operating on these routes during the busy cycling season.
Later this summer, from June 24 - Sept. 8, the TTC and City will undertake major streetcar track upgrades along Broadview Ave. at and in between the Gerrard St. E. and Dundas St. E. intersection, resulting in numerous TTC diversions and traffic restrictions.
Details of service changes to the 504/304 King, 505 Dundas, 506/306 Carlton and 514 Cherry are being finalized and will be shared with customers in advance of this work beginning.
Customers traveling through areas impacted by these construction projects over the summer are advised to plan ahead and leave extra time. The TTC will keep customers informed with notices posted at stops, on the TTC’s website and social media.
View all articles from May
There are no major disruptions at this time.
The TTC issues news releases and media advisories to local, national and international news media by email.
The public can also receive news from the TTC. Simply register with My TTC e-Services or update your existing profile and select news releases, as well as media advisories
Like us on
View the TTC YouTube Channel
Connect with us every day to get service advisories and updates.