TTC weekend closure of portion of Line 1 for signal upgrades
June 4, 2014
This weekend, on June 7 and 8, there will be no subway service in the downtown core on Line 1 (Yonge-University-Spadina) from Bloor to Union to St George stations – the “U” – as the Toronto Transit Commission continues to upgrade its 60-year-old signal system.
During the closure, subway trains on Line 1 will terminate southbound at Bloor Station on the Yonge portion of the line and southbound at St. George Station on the University-Spadina portion of the line. One hundred and twenty shuttle buses will operate every three minutes on Yonge St. and University Ave., using King and Wellington Sts. As Front St. is closed for construction, shuttle buses will not service Union Station. As a result, the TTC will take the opportunity to close Union Station for ongoing concourse and second platform construction. Customers can access the PATH from the Royal Bank Plaza at Front and Bay Sts. TTC staff will be on hand to offer assistance at all affected stations.
The TTC is laying the foundation for a new Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system on Line 1 to improve reliability and capacity on the subway. The modernization process requires crews to upgrade TTC signals, relays, wiring and cabling equipment. For more information on the ATC project, watch the TTC’s explainer video at www.youtube.com/OfficialTTCchannel.
The City of Toronto will help facilitate shuttle buses by making traffic signal timing changes along Yonge St. and University Ave. and prohibit right-hand turns at the intersection of Bloor and Yonge Sts.
Customers attending the Toronto Blue Jays games can use the alternate routes listed below.
From the west:
• 504 King streetcar from Dundas West Station to University Ave. or Yonge St.
• 505 Dundas streetcar/replacement bus from Dundas West Station to University Ave. or Yonge St.
From the east:
• 506 Carlton streetcar from Main Street Station to Yonge St. or University Ave.
• 504 King streetcar from Broadview Station to Yonge St. or University Ave.
• 505 Dundas streetcar from Broadview Station to Yonge St. or University Ave.
From the north or south:
• Shuttle buses on University Ave. or Yonge St.
• 6 Bay bus operating on Bay St. between Bay Station and Queens Quay
• 510 Spadina streetcar operating on Spadina Ave. between Spadina Station and King St. W.
• 511 Bathurst streetcar operating on Bathurst St. between Bathurst Station and Lake Shore/Exhibition Place
• 75 Sherbourne bus operating on Sherbourne St. between Sherbourne Station and Queens Quay
TTC Wheel-Trans buses will be available to accommodate seniors and customers who use wheelchairs, scooters and other mobility aids.
Regular subway service will resume on Mon., June 9 at 6 a.m.
View all articles from June