Transit Operator (Drivers) Recruitment
It’s not only about the driving, it’s about the people
Toronto is a great city for people to live, work and play, and Toronto deserves a transit system it can be proud of. Our vision is to make that happen.
As a Transit Operator you play a key role in delivering an important service to the people of Toronto. In addition to ensuring your customers are treated with courtesy, dignity and respect, you also ensure our transit vehicles run safely, efficiently and in a timely manner. This is an opportunity to apply your skills to a unique customer service role.
We are currently accepting online applications for Transit Operators to meet future requirements.
An ideal candidate for a Transit Operator of our fleet of Buses, Streetcars, and Subway Trains must possess the following basic qualifications:
- A Grade 12 Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent - See Frequently Asked Questions - Grade 12 High School Diploma Requirement
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Prior frontline, face-to-face customer service experience which includes the ability to deal courteously with the public and experienced background with respect to public accessibility requirements
- Be able to work a flexible work schedule that includes various shifts: nights, split shifts, weekends, holidays and with various off days
- Large vehicle driving experience is considered an asset
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have a non-probationary Ontario driver’s licence, Class "G", in good standing and show no suspensions
- Must meet all legislated standards governing the issuance of a Class "C" Licence
- A driver’s abstract should meet the standards outlined below:
|Number of Offences||Demerit Points|
|0 or 1||0 to 3||Acceptable to submit application|
|2||0 to 2||Acceptable to submit application|
|2 or more||3||Unacceptable - must wait to apply when abstract is acceptable|
|3||0||Unacceptable - must wait to apply when abstract is acceptable|
Note: There should be no criminal convictions of any kind on the driver’s abstract.
A driver begins with zero demerit points and accumulates demerit points for convictions.
- Please do not submit a driver’s abstract with your online application. However, if you are uncertain if you meet the standards outlined above, the process for obtaining driver’s abstract information is available by clicking this Ministry of Transportation link .
Steps in the Recruitment Process:
If you are a potential applicant, you should carefully review the information for this job opportunity to ensure that you possess the necessary qualifications. You must also be agreeable to the working conditions prior to applying for the position.
Please note, we receive thousands of applications and only those applicants who strongly demonstrate the skills and competencies for the Transit Operator position will continue in the recruitment process. Successful candidates can expect to wait approximately 3 to 5 months after applying before receiving a conditional offer of employment from the TTC.
After online applications are submitted, applicants will receive an acknowledgement email. Applicants that possess the required skills and competencies are selected to proceed to the next step. This step can take a few months.
Successful applicants from Step 1 are invited to an Information Session and will undergo cognitive ability testing. Only successful candidates from this step will proceed to an interview.
Successful candidates from the interview stage will be required to authorize reference checks, a pre-employment medical, drug testing and a criminal records check. This process could take up to 3 months for all of the results to be processed.
Once all of the results have been reviewed, successful candidates will be contacted and provided with a training start date.
Pay and Benefits:
The TTC offers competitive wages and benefits including: Healthcare and Dental plans, Group Life Insurance and a Pension Plan. As per the Local 113 ATU Collective Agreement, the starting hourly wage rate for this position is $24.06 (rate after successful completion of training).
How to apply:
The TTC accepts online applications for advertised employment opportunities only. In order to apply, you will have to create a secure account. For more details, read the User Guide .
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Committed to the principles of employment equity, the TTC encourages applications from Aboriginal People, people with disabilities, racial minorities, and women. Accommodation is available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resource- Employment Services at 416-393-4570.