Toronto’s Streetcar Network
Past to Present
We’ve got history. From horses to electricity to the “Red Rocket” to today’s modern low-floor accessible vehicle, Toronto’s streetcars have a proud heritage.
Over the past 90 years the TTC has had four streetcar vehicle series, but the first streetcars hit the road before the TTC even existed. Horse-drawn streetcars arrived in Toronto in 1861, followed by the first electric- powered vehicle in 1892. The TTC was established in 1921 and the “Peter Witt” streetcars began driving the streets until they were retired in 1963. The familiar “PCC” or “Red Rocket” was introduced in 1938, and the last of this fleet was retired in 1995. The current fleet includes the CLRV and the ALRV – ready to retire after over 30 years of service.
In 2014 the TTC introduced the made-for-Toronto Bombardier Flexity streetcar.
The TTC’s extensive streetcar network covers a vast area of the city with 11 routes and 82 kilometres of service. Toronto’s streetcar network carries 250,000 passengers each day, more than GO Transit’s entire daily ridership. In 2011 our vehicles rode through city streets logging over 13 million km and picking up more than 87 million passengers.
Streetcars need to be stored and maintained in specially equipped “carhouses” or “barns.” Of the eight carhouses that have existed in Toronto, only two remain – the Roncesvalles and Russell Carhouses are still active after a century after opening.
The new streetcar needs a new carhouse, and TTC is building a new streetcar storage and maintenance facility at Lake Shore and Leslie Street. Currently under construction, the state-of-the-art complex will be built to Toronto Green Standard and include a storm water management pond and a green roof. The facility is scheduled to be fully operational in 2016.
|Facility Name||Open Date||Close Date|
|facility name Yorkville Carhouse||Open Date 1861||Close Date 1922|
|facility name Roncesvalles Carhouse||Open Date 1895||Close Date Open|
|facility name Dundas Carhouse||Open Date 1897||Close Date 1931|
|facility name Lansdowne Carhouse||Open Date 1911||Close Date 1966|
|facility name Danforth Carhouse||Open Date 1915||Close Date 1966|
|facility name Russell Carhouse||Open Date 1916||Close Date Open|
|facility name St. Clair Carhouse||Open Date 1914||Close Date 1978|
|facility name Eglinton Carhouse (at Yonge St.)||Open Date 1922||Close Date 1954|
41 Keele: Detour via Wilson Ave, Agate Rd and Victory Dr due to a collision.
Last updated 1:28 AM