TTC Corporate Policy Review Policy 13.8.3 Corporate Travel
Meeting Date: November 28, 2005
Subject: TTC Corporate Policy Review Policy 13.8.3 Corporate Travel
It is recommended that the Commission approve the following TTC Corporate Policy 13.8.3 Corporate Travel, which is attached hereto as Appendix “A”.
No funding is required.
At its meeting on July 14, 2004, the Commission approved a motion by Chair Moscoe for Commissioner Giambrone to undertake a review of the TTC’s Corporate Policy Manual with a request that he bring forward one policy per meeting for the review and consideration of the Commission.
An earlier draft of this policy was received by the Audit Committee at its meeting of July 13, 2005.
The above process was commenced at the Commission meeting of February 9, 2005. In accordance with the review schedule adopted at the aforementioned meeting, Policy 13.8.3 Corporate Travel, as amended, is submitted for Commission approval. The next policy scheduled for review by the Commission, at its meeting of December 14, 2005, is Policy 13.1.3 Personal Automobile Use.
The Corporate Travel Policy has been amended to bring it in line with the City of Toronto’s and to incorporate the following revisions:
• Defining travel as trips outside the Greater Toronto Area (which includes the City of Toronto, and the Regions of Durham, Halton, Peel and York) instead of the City of Toronto per se, to be consistent with the present City of Toronto policy.
• Requiring CGM approval for any unbudgeted travel – whether Business Travel, or Conference/Seminar (Commission approval is required for Conference/Seminar if cost is over $3,500).
• Defining Business Travel to include travel necessary to attend a Training Course or Management Development Program, which was previously included under Conference/Seminar.
• Requiring Human Resources prior approval for any Training Course/Management Development Program/Seminar.
• Changing from a requirement for staff to provide receipts for all incidental expenses to a per diem allowance system (i.e. receipts not required), with guidelines as to acceptable allowances for each of breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a daily allowance for sundry expenses. Note that the per diem allowance will be reduced where meals are provided.
• Permitting Business Travel by any TTC Commissioner (vs. only Chair/Vice Chair) as a result of changes to the Municipal Act.
• Confirming that TTC Commissioners follow City of Toronto travel policy and expense guidelines.
• Providing out-of-province emergency medical blanket coverage for all staff on business travel or out-of-town conferences/ seminars, instead of requiring staff to get individual insurance.
• Stipulating that TTC reimburseable guidelines apply where some or all of an employee’s travel costs are paid by an external organization.
This policy provides clear direction to staff on all issues involving corporate travel.
October 28, 2005
l\trserv\commrpt – TTC Corporate Policy Review - Travel