Location:

7th Floor Boardroom
1900 Yonge Street

Present:

Sam Savona (Chair)
Mazin Aribi
Brayan Bratanov
Dorothy Creaser
Heather Green
Lori March
Scott McArthur
Carol Anne Monet
Robert Muzzy
Craig Nicol
Anna Noviss
Angela Rebeiro
Valdo Tammark (Vice Chair)
Howard Wax (Vice Chair)
Susan Davidson (Ex-Officio)

ACAT Pool Members
Julien Chabot
Zoe Cormack Jones

TTC Representatives:
Evelyn Gartner
Bill Frost
Glenn Johnson
Tom McPherson
David Nagler

Regrets:

Elaine Prescod

Copies:

Gary Webster
David Dixon
Bill Frost
Vince Rodo
John Sepulis
Jim Teeple
Mitch Stambler
TTC Commissioners

Items Discussed

  1. Call to Order / Attendance
  2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest
  3. Approval of Agenda
  4. Review and Approval of February 24, 2011 Minutes
  5. Business Arising Out of Minutes/Outstanding Items
  6. Deputations: None
  7. Transit Expansion Website
  8. Subcommittee Reports and Updates
  9. Report on Commission Meeting and Accessibility Matters
  10. Elevator - Response to Gary Webster
  11. People In Motion Show
  12. Public Forum
  13. Referral - Re-evaluation of Ambulatory Dialysis Patients to Wheel-Trans Operations
  14. Update - ACAT Chair’s Meeting with TTC Chair Karen Stintz
  15. Other / New Business
  16. Next Meeting - April 28, 2011
  17. Adjournment

1. Call to Order and Attendance

Sam Savona, Chair, called the meeting to order at 1:00 p.m. and attendance was taken.

2. Declaration of Conflict of Interest - Nil

3. Approval of Agenda

On motion of Howard Wax and seconded by Dorothy Creaser, ACAT approved the agenda.

4. Review and Approval of February 24, 2011 Minutes

On motion of Carol Anne Monet and seconded by Howard Wax, ACAT approved the minutes of February 24, 2011.

Tom McPherson advised ACAT that the ballots for the elections held from the previous meeting were destroyed.

5. Business Arising from Minutes/Outstanding Items

a) Bus Destination Messages

Heather Green, former Communications Subcommittee Chair, will be providing a list of outstanding Communications items to Angela Rebeiro, who will then update ACAT on these items. This list will include the status of the discussions on Bus Destination Messages to date.

b) Station Layout Pages

ACAT was previously advised by Carla Basso that there are no security issues related to Station Layout Pages being provided; however, ACAT has not received further information.

Action:

Bill Frost to follow up with the TTC Marketing Department regarding a status report on Station Layout Pages at the ACAT meeting in April.

c) Elevator Panel/Signage Terminology

It was noted that the naming terminology used inside elevators and regarding elevator levels is inconsistent. Sam Savona referred this issue to the Communications Subcommittee.

Action:

Communications Subcommittee to investigate inconsistent elevator signage, in and outside the elevator cab, and standard labelling protocol for elevator levels.

6. Deputations - None

7. Transit Expansion Website - David Nagler

David Nagler provided a brief overview of plans for the Transit Expansion website. The TTC website will have a link to the Transit Expansion website that will feature daily updates regarding traffic diversions due to construction. Some of the website features are access link on all pages, browse out loud, ability to change fonts, text sizes, and colours, and magnify screen.

Howard Wax asked that further Transit Expansion website updates be referred to the Communications Subcommittee.

Craig Nicol provided some suggestions to ensure that the website is accessible to people with visual impairment such as using the most up-to-date screen reader, no Flash or text placed over images.

Action:

David Nagler to provide an e-copy of Transit Expansion presentation to ACAT.

8. Subcommittee Reports and Updates

Communications Subcommittee (CSC)

Heather Green advised that the Communications Subcommittee met once in March. Some of the items discussed were the Customer Service email link, Snow Contingency Plan, and distribution channels for Wheel-Trans brochures. Heather will complete her responses to outstanding communication concerns from the Customer Service Advisory Panel Report and provide them to Angela Rebeiro for further review and subcommittee consideration. On March 25, 2011, Angela Rebeiro was acclaimed Communications Subcommittee Chair and provided the following Communications Subcommittee update.

A motion was passed to invite the new Chief Customer Service Officer, Chris Upfold, to a Communications Subcommittee meeting in September. It was believed that inviting Mr. Upfold any earlier does not provide him with adequate time to become familiar with customer services issues and ACAT.

CSC recommended that a lexicon of TTC terminology, definitions, and acronyms for elevators be standardized.

CSC recommended that ACAT Minutes be placed as an agenda on Commission meeting agendas in order to bring more light to ACAT issues.

CSC recommended that all approved Subcommittee minutes be circulated to ACAT members.

Action:

Howard Wax to bring forward the suggestion of ACAT minutes being placed on the agenda of Commission meetings to the ACAT Executive Committee for further discussion.

Action:

Howard Wax to add approved Subcommittee minute distribution to ACAT Executive Committee agenda.

Design Review Subcommittee (DRS)

Craig Nicol (Chair) advised that the Design Review Subcommittee held four meetings in March. The majority of the time of the Design Review Subcommittee was involved with providing advice to the TTC with respect to the AODA Draft Integrated Accessibility Regulation (a substantial portion of three meetings).

DRS provided advice on a required revision to the Passenger Assistance (PA) panel button in elevators to comply with the current CAN/CSA B44 Safety Code for Elevators. DRS has requested a mockup of the button design before forming a final position.

DRS provided input to LRT mobility device space design. This was a further development from the last presentation in November 2010 and DRS has requested additional data from staff and consultants before forming a final position. DRS also requested mockups to better illustrate mobility device space usage.

DRS received staff input on a private party proposal to add elevator access to the concourse level of St. Andrew Station at no cost to TTC. Feedback was provided on features and space considerations for accessibility and safety which DRS will be looking for in the final design. DRS expressed appreciation for the developer initiative to provide further accessible access to the station.

The next DRS meeting will be held on April 13, 2011.

Service Planning Subcommittee (SPS)

Anna Noviss was re-acclaimed as the Service Planning Subcommittee Chair and reported that the Subcommittee had three meetings in March. Much of the time was spent offering advice on the submission of the TTC on the accessible transportation regulation under the AODA which was needed to be submitted to the Province by March 18, 2011. Glenn Johnston informed the Committee that the TTC’s submission would complement rather than duplicate the OPTA/CUTA submission for the entire transit industry.  

The venue for the Public Forum was discussed with Evelyn Gartner of Wheel-Trans. The Wheel-Trans office determined that the most appropriate venue continues to be the Queen Elizabeth Building at the CNE. 

A conventional bus will be pulled up to the curb near the Queen Elizabeth Building with the ramp extended. This will duplicate the natural setting.

Subcommittee members have subsequently been informed that the Forum will be held on May 19, 2011 and that the members of the Commission, TTC senior management, and others are being informed. 

Wheel-Trans was asked to include the information on the Public Forum in the next newsletter. 

Discussions on the Forum will continue at the Subcommittee meeting on April 13, 2011. 
Marianne Minaker, Curriculum Development Specialist, and Adrienne Whalen, TTC Instructor, updated the Committee on the pilot project to assist other organizations to train trainers and passengers. It is called “Travel Training on Accessible TTC Services – Program Design Plan”. This is to be developed for one-on-one training for passengers with disabilities and seniors who wish to learn about the conventional TTC system. Train the Trainer will include trip planning, riding the TTC, safety, etc.  The SPS made suggestions and comments that could be included in the materials when teaching both the passenger and trainer.
People in Motion will be held on June 3 and 4, 2011. Representatives of TTC conventional and specialized transit services and ACAT members will be in the same booth this year, with more space and computers. SPS feels this is an opportunity to encourage service integration. Registrants could investigate not only the TTC’s specialized service provided through Wheel-Trans but the conventional system and/or a combination of the two. Some suggestions by the Subcommittee are instructional DVD played on loop, advice on integrated trips, display boards, prize incentive for those who enter a conventional bus, and a tip sheet. The Subcommittee will address this matter further on April 13th.
The next SPS meeting will be held on April 13, 2011.

Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee

The Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee did not meet in March.

9. Report on Commission Meeting and Accessibility Matters

Valdo Tammark reported that, at the Commission meeting held on March 1, 2011, TTC Chair Karen Stintz presented an Award of Merit to a TTC Operator and that a supplementary agenda was introduced to set up a meeting with David Lepofsky and the Commission Chair, Vice Chair, and Gary Webster.  When Sam heard of this separate meeting, he contacted Mr. Webster to ask to be able to also attend this meeting. Sam was welcomed to attend. The meeting was about the Integrated Accessibility Regulations and that the TTC should use stronger language in its submission to the government.

10. Elevator - Response to Gary Webster - Deferred until April

11. People in Motion Show - Evelyn Gartner

The People in Motion show will be held on June 3 and 4, 2011. The Wheel-Trans booth will focus on interactive voice response, internet and electronic trip bookings. An accessible bus, which can kneel to the sidewalk, will be parked adjacent to the Queen Elizabeth Building. Bill Frost volunteered to document any issues or concerns from passengers who visit the accessible bus.

The ACAT Service Planning Subcommittee had advised that the event should be used to educate the public about the benefits of service integration and to promote conventional accessible services and a combination of conventional and specialized services. Anna Noviss indicated the Subcommittee suggested more computers and space for attendees to use interactive displays/access TTC information, an instructional DVD be played in a continuous loop, display boards be posted, and a tip sheet of useful information to encourage service integration be developed and distributed. There was also a suggestion that those who try out the accessible bus be given a chance to win a prize.

Action:

ACAT members to advise Evelyn Gartner if they are interested in volunteering at the People in Motion event.

12. Public Forum

ACAT suggested that the CNE provide ramp access for speakers using the podium.

Howard Wax noted Tom McPherson’s suggestion at a previous ACAT General Meeting to establish an Ad-Hoc Committee to develop the Public Forum agenda.

Glenn Johnston noted that the ACAT Service Planning Subcommittee was already addressing the public forums and was providing advice.

On motion of Howard Wax and seconded by Carol Anne Monet, ACAT approved the formation of an ad-hoc committee to develop and execute the program for the 2011 Public Forum. The venue and facilitation of services shall continue to be under the direction of the Service Planning Subcommittee.

Tom McPherson advised that the next Public Forum will be held at the CNE, as it is the only facility which meets the mandatory criteria established by Wheel-Trans.

Action:

Tom McPherson to provide the Public Forum venue list to ACAT.

13. Referral - Re-evaluation of Ambulatory Dialysis Patients to Wheel-Trans Operations

Howard Wax recommended that the re-evaluation of ambulatory dialysis patients be referred to the Wheel-Trans Operations Subcommittee.

14. Update - ACAT Chair’s Meeting with TTC Chair Karen Stintz

Sam Savona and Bill Frost attended a meeting with TTC Chair Karen Stintz on March 29, 2011 concerning TTC’s response to the proposed accessibility and improved communications between ACAT and the TTC Chair. Karen Stintz concurred with ACAT’s request that regular meetings be arranged for her to meet with the ACAT Executive.

15. Other / New Business

a) Waiting List Trips

It was noted that Waiting List trips seem to occur earlier in the day. Tom McPherson advised that WT customers cannot be placed on the waiting list after 6:00 p.m. as the opportunity for getting a ride is slim. During the course of the day, waiting list schedules are adjusted. The automated trip scheduler reorganizes trips throughout the day and oftentimes rides can be accommodated shortly after being wait-listed.

b) History Project

Brayan Bratanov advised that he has begun work on the project by accessing the Wheel Trans archives. He will be visiting the Urban Affairs Library for further research.  He encouraged ACAT members to join him in this project.

16. Next Meeting

The next meeting of ACAT will be held on Thursday, April 28, 2011, in the 7th Floor Boardroom, 1900 Yonge Street.

17. Adjournment

On motion by Craig Nicol, the meeting was adjourned at 3:00 p.m.

Lori Blinn
Recording Secretary